Facebook Pinterest Instagram G+ Teachers Pay Teachers Bloglovin Image Map

26 January 2015

Monday Made It - Chocolate Milk Mix

Over the past couple of years, our family has s-l-o-w-l-y been making changes towards healthier eating. I have too much going on in my life (and I love routine) to change a lot of things at once. So, we've been making small changes like cutting back on certain things (processed foods, colored dye, sugars) and trying to make our own things that are easy to do like taco seasoning or marinara sauce.

Somewhere along the way, we got into the routine of giving the kids chocolate milk with breakfast. I'm all for letting them enjoy food in moderation. I think keeping everything from them could cause food issues later in life. We got away from using chocolate syrup to make milk because the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup which we try to avoid. For the longest time I just used Nesquick powder which has less sugar than the syrup, but still a lot of added ingredients that I can't pronounce. Last week I had the thought that maybe I could make my own powder mix, so I did some research and found something that the kids said tastes even better!


Ingredients: 2/3 cup organic cane sugar
                    1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa (100% cacoa)
                    pinch of salt


Mix it all together and put it in an airtight container. That's it!


In the mornings when I want to make my kids their milk, I heat up a few ounces of water in a measuring cup, then add 3 spoons of the mix and stir it up. Then I distribute the liquid chocolate into the 3 big kids' cups of milk. They love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment